Monday, November 2, 2015

Lazy Sundays and Quality Time


Most of us enjoy a lazy Sunday, knowing Monday is only a few hours away. The work week calls, with all its daunting responsibilities. Why can't I have one more day? I've been evangelizing the four-day work week for years, but no one seems to be listening. Just one more day...

After much snuggling Sunday morning, my husband and I opted out of household chores. Instead, we took a stroll in our little downtown area, just the two of us. We’d stayed in bed well past brunch and lunch and were just in time for a late lunch.

Clouds hinting at rain overhead, our little hometown remained warm, making it perfect weather for a walk. Holding hands, we chatted about nothing and everything. We left the kids at home (both old enough to stay home alone for an hour or so,) and focused on each other.

Family time is important. In this day and age when everyone is constantly working, parents and children need as much quality time together as possible. But adults also need quality time away from the kids. Just as children need to play together, so do the adults. There's something about connecting one-on-one, away from the kids, that’s necessary for every relationship. Parenting may be our most important role, but we’re not just parents.

We’re also friends, lovers, and companions in need of attention. We talk daily about homework, dinner, household chores, finances, and all the other things that take up the majority of our time. But what about our dreams? What about goals? Feelings? Failings? I consider my husband my best friend, and there are times when I just need to talk to my friend. To laugh, cry, and reminisce.

Don’t make bedtime the only quality alone time you have with your partner. Make time to spend with each other, away from friends, relatives, and even the kids. Talk, go for a swim, enjoy a picnic in the park, or go for a drive and gaze at the stars on a clear night. Human beings need to connect and not just on digital devices. Remember why you fell in love with your partner. Give them your undivided attention. You both deserve it.
When was the last time you and your partner connected (I mean outside the bedroom, geez) without kids, friends, or relatives present?
 

I was born and raised in San Francisco, CA, and have a husband and two children. Music is an addiction. I can often be found in the car, singing along at the top of my lungs to whatever is playing. I work full time, and I split my spare time between family, reading, blogging, and writing. I’m a habitual quoter. Lines from films and TV shows constantly pop into my head—my kids are the only ones that really get it. I’m an only child, and so of course I married a man who is one of ten children. Other than English, I speak Spanish, Moroccan, and a little French. I love to travel, but don’t do enough of it. Reading has been a passion for most of my life and I now love writing. I’m klutz, and in my own mind, I’m hilarious.
Signup to join My Dream Team: http://eepurl.com/bjAzz1
 

No comments:

Post a Comment