Monday, May 18, 2015

Top Ten Vacation Destinations


This post is going to be short and sweet. Summer is looming on the horizon. The days are longer, the skies are blue, but it's still a bit cold here to start participating in summer activities. That doesn't stop me from dreaming about a vacation. There's a whole world out there to explore. If money were no object, you'd be hard pressed to find me at home.

I'm going to change the usual top ten up and list the top five places I've been and the top five places I want to go.

Top Five Places I've been
 
5. San Diego, California- The beaches: Go to Coronado for golden sand, Pacific Beach for local fun and bonfires, Mission Beach for the boardwalk, and La Jolla for the best waves for swimming. The Gaslamp District, beautiful at night sits smack dab in the center of downtown, and is filled with restaurants and bars, perfect for people watching. The weather can't be beat.
San Diego
 

4. Marbella, Spain- In southern Spain on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. Spend the days in the sand and surf, and your nights eating and drinking. Puerto Banos is a must see. Great shopping during the day and at night, it's party time.
3. Merida/Cancun, Mexico- Cancun is beautiful and has the warmest ocean water I've ever experienced. The lesser known is across the peninsula, Merida on the gulf. It's a beautiful city, easy to navigate, with great nightlife. Driving distance from the Pyramids in Chichen Itza.
Chichen Itza, Yucatan, Mexico

2. Florence, Italy- The art, food, and people are all enough, but to be at the center of so much history... I can't wait to go back.
 
1. Morocco- I've have the advantage of being married to a Moroccan, so I've traveled several times to Morocco and to many different cities. Beautiful architecture, friendly people, beaches, food, and an ancient place with a very European feel. Great place to travel. Top cities I recommend; Rabat, Meknes, Tetouan, Marrakech, and Essaouira. For some reason, I still haven't made it to Fes, Chefchaouen, Agadir, or Ouarzazate, but there's always next time.

Top Five Places I Want to Go

5. England- I would love to tour the old estates of the English countryside. I want to see Downton Abbey, Pemberly, and all those inspirational abodes from Jane Austen's era.
4. Puerto Rico- After recent research for my newest book Sea Breeze, I really want to see San Juan, the El Yunque Rainforest, and hear some live Bomba.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
3. France- Paris, Marseille, Nice (and maybe I'll pop over to neighboring Monaco for a couple days)


2. India- This is one of the most exotic places I can think of in the world, and I really want to go. I love Indian food. I love the colors and even was married in a sari. I want to see the Taj Mahal and experience the sights and sounds of one of the most mystical places I can imagine.

1. Greece- This is top of my list. I want the islands, culture, food, music, history, all of it.

Wow, I don't know how I was able to narrow that down. There are too many other places I want to go as well, many of which are right here in the U.S. Now, I'm second guessing the above.

Domestically here are a few others:

New York, New York- I went as a kid, but would love to go back now for a weekend with my husband.
Savannah, Georgia- Ever since I read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt, I've been aching to go. I want to see the squares and old homes, listen to the music, and just be.
New Orleans, Louisiana- Food, French Quarter, cemeteries where local witches and vampires could be lurking...need I say more.
Miami, Florida- Oceans, nightlife, oceans...
Charleston, South Carolina- I want to tour the plantations and pre-Civil War homes.
National Parks in Utah bordering Arizona- Arches National Park and The Wave, such amazing natural phenomena and rock formations. Maybe a tour down the Colorado River?  

Internationally here are a few more, the reasons are irrelevant.

Jamaica
Turkey
Egypt
Portugal
Australia
New Zealand
Brazil
Argentina
Cuba
Japan
Ireland
Prague
Virgin Islands

What are your top five places you've been and top five you want to visit?


You can find me online at www.jennifersenhajiauthor.com



No comments:

Post a Comment