Monday, July 13, 2015

Real Romance



The romance novels of old spoke of refined ladies, dapper gentlemen, saucy wenches, and sexy scoundrels. In today’s contemporary romance novels, you’ll still find all of the above, but you’ll also find strong heroines, capable of saving themselves.

But romance isn’t always romantic, just like people aren’t always perfect. That’s what makes it and them genuine.

What do I mean?

·         Heroes aren’t perfect. They are flawed beings that have heroic moments. When put to a test, they may fail a few times, but eventually will do the right thing.

·         Sex is messy. Yep, there’s this thing called gravity and physics and fluids don’t stay where you want them to. I write great sex. Maybe not always realistic, but fan-freaking-tastic. However, there will be times when things get a little awkward. Because in real life, that happens.

·         Bodily functions: Yep, we all have them, including fictional characters.

·         Insecurities. You may be a strong person, but everyone has insecurities. Love is one of the easiest things to misread. Why? Because we are all so ready to believe something negative than something positive, we overlook that person who is head-over-heels in love with all our flaws.

Does this mean that my books are full of self-depreciating assholes who fart while having sex?

No. But there will be real doubt, real flaws, real problems, and maybe an occasional fart, because sex can also be funny.
Do you enjoy real life quirks in your romance novels or do you want it all to be fantastical bliss?

I was born and raised in San Francisco, CA, and have a husband and two children. Music is an addiction. I can often be found in the car, singing along at the top of my lungs to whatever is playing. I work full time, and I split my spare time between family, reading, blogging, and writing. I’m a habitual quoter. Lines from films and TV shows constantly pop into my head—my kids are the only ones that really get it. I’m an only child, and so of course I married a man who is one of ten children. Other than English, I speak Spanish, Moroccan, and a little French. I love to travel, but don’t do enough of it. Reading has been a passion for most of my life and I now love writing. I’m klutz, and in my own mind, I’m hilarious.
Find me at www.jennifersenhajiauthor.com


Choosing to Dream, Book 2 in the Sunset Dreams Series, Releases Friday, July 17th, 2015. Join my release day bash by clicking on the photo below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/905508526174145/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment