Monday, October 5, 2015

Romance on the Road


Ever read a romance where a couple serendipitously meets and falls in love while on a two week vacation? My novella, Sea Breeze (excuse the shameless plug) is one of them. It’s rather common for films or books to use this plot device to bring two characters together. Some may think it’s too farfetched to happen in real life.

I disagree.

There’s something magical that happens when we’re far from home and away from the practicality of the daily grind. We become more adventurous, less inhibited. We take chances we wouldn’t normally take at home. Whether it’s zip lining, trying new exotic foods, or flirting with a stranger, these things do happen while on vacation in real life and in fiction.


I met my husband on a fifteen-day trip to Morocco. It was love at first sight, or at the minimum lust. There was an urgency in our acquaintance because we knew our time was limited. Instead of getting to know one another over several weeks of dates, we crammed it all into a few intense days together. Makes for a powerful connection.

I believe traveling and experiencing new places and cultures is one of the most rewarding and eye-opening things we can do with our lives. But this also applies to our romantic lives. Sometimes, we need adventure, we need the freedom to set aside our daily responsibilities and allow the romantic inside us to burst forth.


Isn’t it romantic to think about strolling along the Champs Élysées or taking time to sip coffee in Montmartre? I haven’t been to Paris, it’s on the list, but romance is all about discovery. That new, stomach-flipping fire inside to discover everything about a person: What makes them tick, what makes them unique, what makes them so much more freaking attractive than what we have at home. It’s similar to discovering a new place and the desire to pack up all your belongings and move there.

My experience with romance on the road turned into an overseas romance, which eventually resulted in marriage; fifteen years and counting.

So get out and get moving. Romance on the road doesn’t only happen in movies or romance novels. It’s real. If you’re not finding what you’re looking for at home, pack your bags. Take a trip. Maybe you’ll find the love of your life, or maybe you won’t. But isn’t the adventure and the possibility of romance worth the effort?


“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.
Have you experienced an epic romance on the road? Comment with your story. It could inspire others to take their own trip.

I was born and raised in San Francisco, CA, and have a husband and two children. Music is an addiction. I can often be found in the car, singing along at the top of my lungs to whatever is playing. I work full time, and I split my spare time between family, reading, blogging, and writing. I’m a habitual quoter. Lines from films and TV shows constantly pop into my head—my kids are the only ones that really get it. I’m an only child, and so of course I married a man who is one of ten children. Other than English, I speak Spanish, Moroccan, and a little French. I love to travel, but don’t do enough of it. Reading has been a passion for most of my life and I now love writing. I’m klutz, and in my own mind, I’m hilarious.


Signup to join My Dream Team: http://eepurl.com/bjAzz1

2 comments: